Terror and panic have engulfed Aafin Community in the Ile-Ire district of Ifelodun Local Government Area, Kwara State, following a brazen raid on the royal palace that resulted in the abduction of the traditional ruler and one of his sons.
Oba S.Y. Olaonipekun, the monarch, was reportedly kidnapped along with his son, Olaolu—a serving National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) member—after gunmen stormed the palace around 8:00 pm on Wednesday, December 31, 2026. The attackers are believed to be heavily armed criminals, creating heightened fear in the community already grappling with insecurity in Kwara South.
According to sources, the assailants arrived at the palace in Aafin Ile-Ere, opening fire immediately before forcefully breaking into the building. The sudden violence threw residents into panic as gunfire echoed through the area.
During the assault, the Olori (queen consort), Felicia Olaonipekun, was shot in the arm. Although she avoided being taken hostage, she sustained injuries and was rushed to a nearby hospital for treatment.
An eyewitness described the attack as sudden, triggered by unusual movements noticed outside the palace prior to the raid.
“Around 8:00 pm, I noticed strange activity outside and alerted those inside. We started locking doors and switching off lights, but once they realised what we were doing, they began shooting,” the source recounted.
The gunmen reportedly demanded to see the Kabiyesi and inquired about the queen, who had already been injured. “Kabiyesi later came out, and they took him away. They also discovered Olaolu, who was hiding, and abducted him as well,” the eyewitness added.
At the time of the invasion, at least ten family members and visitors were inside the palace, having gathered for New Year celebrations. The local vigilante group, reportedly limited to two members on duty that night, was unable to confront the heavily armed attackers.
“The vigilantes could not do much because they were just two on duty. The gunmen went straight to the palace and did not attack any other house,” the eyewitness said.
The incident has escalated fears in the area, following the recent release of the Ojibara of Bayagan Ile, Oba Kamilu Salami, who had been kidnapped from his farm in the same local government area and held for roughly 25 days. His release, after a substantial ransom was reportedly paid in two instalments, had previously brought relief and celebration to the community.
Community spokesperson Ayinla Lawal confirmed that residents collectively raised the ransom without government assistance. “Our elders appealed that the exact amount should not be made public, but it was substantial,” Lawal said. He added that the kidnappers initially rejected a ₦10 million payment before demanding an additional ₦15 million prior to releasing Oba Salami.
© 2025 Gossip News Now , a division of CHIEJOS HARBIAN DIGITAL MEDIA LTD. Contact us via admin@gossipnewsnow.online










