Kebbi State Deputy Governor Umar Abubakar-Tafida has broken his silence on his replacement as Governor Nasir Idris’ running mate for the 2027 governorship election, rejecting claims that the move was a consequence of the Supreme Court judgment on the 2023 election.
Abubakar-Tafida said he had accepted the decision in good faith but described attempts to link his replacement to the court judgment as “unbecoming and bogus.”
In Brief
Naija News reports that Abubakar-Tafida spoke on Wednesday in Argungu when thousands of supporters, political associates and well-wishers visited his residence to sympathise with him following his replacement by the All Progressives Congress (APC).
While accepting the development, the deputy governor said he would continue to tell what he described as the true story behind his replacement.
He also maintained that the development had not affected his relationship with Governor Idris or his loyalty to the APC.
Key Political Figures
Abubakar-Tafida is the incumbent Deputy Governor of Kebbi State, while Nasir Idris is the state governor and his political principal.
The two have worked together in the administration of Kebbi State, but Abubakar-Tafida has now been replaced as Idris’ running mate for the 2027 governorship election.
The APC is the governing party involved in the decision, while the Supreme Court judgment on the 2023 election has become part of the explanation Abubakar-Tafida is challenging.
The deputy governor has, however, made clear that his disagreement is with the narrative surrounding the replacement rather than with the decision itself.
Background To The Replacement
Abubakar-Tafida said he had accepted the decision to replace him and did not intend to contest the development.
He attributed his acceptance to his belief that political positions were temporary and ultimately subject to the will of Allah.
However, he rejected attempts to portray his replacement as a consequence of the Supreme Court judgment relating to the 2023 election.
He described that explanation as an attempt to present him negatively and damage his political standing.
The deputy governor said those responsible for spreading what he described as false narratives were attempting to tarnish his image permanently.
What Abubakar-Tafida Said
Abubakar-Tafida said he had no objection to what had happened, stressing that political positions were not permanent.
He said:
“Whatever has happened, we have no objection because whatever is done is done with the permission and will of Allah.”
He also stated:
“There is nothing permanent in life. With politics or without politics, you can still progress in life if God so wishes.”
However, he strongly rejected the explanation linking his replacement to the Supreme Court judgment.
He described the narrative as:
“totally unbecoming and bogus.”
The deputy governor said the people behind the narrative were seeking to damage his political image.
He added:
“The motive of those peddling these lies is to tarnish my political image for eternity. We will never succumb to that.”
Separating The Claim From The Established Position
Abubakar-Tafida’s remarks establish that he disputes the explanation being attached to his replacement.
He did not deny that he had been replaced as Governor Idris’ running mate. Instead, his objection was to the claim that the Supreme Court judgment provided the basis for the decision.
The supplied account does not independently establish that the Supreme Court judgment was the reason for his replacement.
Therefore, his description of the narrative as an attempt to tarnish his image should be understood as his position on the matter, rather than as an independently established fact.
What is clear from his statement is that he has accepted the replacement while rejecting the explanation he believes is being used to justify it.
Where The Matter Stands
Despite the development, Abubakar-Tafida said his relationship with Governor Idris remained cordial.
He said the two had worked together to advance the interests of Kebbi State and indicated that he did not view the political change as a reason to create hostility between them.
He said:
“I have been working cordially with my governor, Nasir Idris. We have been doing a lot of things together.”
Abubakar-Tafida further indicated that he could accept the replacement if it was genuinely motivated by political strategy and the desire to win elections.
He said:
“If what happened is about changes in politics for strategic purposes and winning elections, we have no objection to that.”
He also reiterated his belief that political power was temporary and ultimately determined by Allah.
Editorial Analysis
Abubakar-Tafida’s response presents a more complicated picture than a straightforward political fallout between a governor and his deputy.
Although he has been removed from the expected 2027 ticket, he has not publicly rejected Governor Idris or the APC.
Instead, he has drawn a distinction between accepting the political decision and rejecting what he considers a damaging explanation for that decision.
That distinction is central to his response.
His willingness to accept the replacement while defending his reputation also suggests that his immediate concern is not simply retaining political office, but preventing the development from being interpreted as evidence of wrongdoing or political failure on his part.
Strategic Assessment
The replacement also has a clear 2027 political dimension.
Abubakar-Tafida himself acknowledged that political arrangements can change for strategic reasons, particularly where the objective is to secure victory at the polls.
His statement that he would have no objection if the change was made for strategic purposes indicates that he is leaving room for the decision to be understood as an electoral calculation rather than necessarily as a personal disagreement.
At the same time, his continued support for both Governor Idris and President Bola Tinubu means the development has not, based on his statement, translated into an open break with the APC.
He pledged to continue supporting the party and campaign for the re-election of Tinubu and Idris in 2027.
What Happens Next?
Abubakar-Tafida’s immediate political position appears to be one of acceptance rather than confrontation.
He has said that he accepts the replacement and intends to maintain his relationship with Governor Idris.
However, he has also made clear that he intends to continue telling what he considers the true story behind the development.
He said:
“We will continue to tell the true story of what happened.”
The next phase will therefore involve how the political transition is managed within the APC and whether Abubakar-Tafida’s continued loyalty to the party and governor translates into active support for the 2027 campaign.
Final Editorial Wrap-Up
Abubakar-Tafida has accepted his replacement as Governor Idris’ running mate while strongly rejecting the narrative that the decision was caused by the Supreme Court judgment on the 2023 election.
His response suggests that he does not intend to turn the development into an open political confrontation with the governor or the APC.
Instead, he has maintained that political positions are temporary, reaffirmed his cordial relationship with Idris and pledged continued support for the APC, Tinubu and the governor ahead of the 2027 elections.
At the same time, he has made clear that he intends to defend his political reputation and challenge what he considers a false account of why he was replaced.










